Fountain Pen Day
Fountain Pen Day is celebrated by enthusiasts worldwide as a time to embrace, promote, and share the use of fountain pens. This day is celebrated on the first Friday in November each year.
History of fountain pens
According to Qadi al-Nu’man al-Tamimi (d. 974) in his Kitab al-Majalis wa ‘l-musayarat, the Fatimid caliph Al-Mu’izz li-Din Allah in Arab Egypt demanded a pen that would not stain his hands or clothes, and was provided with a pen that held ink in a reservoir, allowing it to be held upside-down without leaking.
There is compelling evidence that a working fountain pen or a nib pen was constructed and used during the Renaissance by artist and inventor Leonardo da Vinci. Leonardo’s journals contain drawings with cross-sections of what appears to be a reservoir pen that works by both gravity and capillary action. Historians also took note of the fact that the handwriting in the inventor’s surviving journals is of a consistent contrast throughout, rather than exhibiting the characteristic fading pattern typical of a quill pen caused by expending and re-dipping. While no physical item survives, several working models were reconstructed in 2011 by artist Amerigo Bombara that have since been put on display in museums dedicated to Leonardo.(source : Wikipedia)
Some ideas for celebrating Fountain Pen Day 2019
1. Write a letter to someone with your favorite fountain pen and ink. Under your signature you can write the pen & ink you used.
2. Go through your stationery collection and use some of those you have saved for a special occasion. Surprise a friend with that vintage paper.
3. Post on your favorite forum or blog by writing it out with your fountain pen. Then take a picture of it and post it. Again, under your signature write what pen & ink you used.
4. Instead of typing Facebook status updates and tweets on Twitter, write them and upload a picture of them
5. Take one of the pens you don’t use anymore and send it off to a friend with a handwritten note. If you don’t have any pens you want to part with you can shop one of the online retailers and have it sent direct to them.
6. Turn off your computer and put down the phone and spend some time writing.
(source : fountainpenday.org)
Related blog posts :